Saturday, February 19, 2011

music

When I was little I use to listen to all different kind of music. I had my older cousins around so I heard everything they listened to. I went through a Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Tiffany, The Cure, Morrisey, Break dancing and metal phase. I was definitely and still can be called sometimes, a chameleon. I made up dance routines and bought fingerless lace gloves in the 80's and early 90's. I bought V neck sweaters and used a chained wallet for my Morrissey stage. I loved teasing my hair and wearing "mc hammer' pants in the 90's. I listened to songs about love, sex and some with tons of curse words.
Eventually, I became an adult and loved music in general. I listen to music of all different genres, I am not picky. I love country, christian, pop, opera, rock n roll, classical and many others. I even listen to music  in different languages like Spanish, Arabic, Italian, Celtic and of course English.
The reason I bring this up is because my kids listen to everything. They love Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Arabic music, Country, Christian and music from Journey and Johnny Cash. Cameron my 8 year old was sent a Lady Gaga t-shirt from my mom. Nothing inappropriate but actually really cute. As she was wearing it I questioned myself on the fact that we don't really agree with Lady Gaga's well... anything. But we love her music! If I think back to my experiences I knew Madonna was "Like A Virgin," she told me to "Express yourself," and words from a guy are "Like a Prayer." I also was told to "Rock the cradle of love,"  that "Nothing else matters," Jeremy Spoke in Class," and InXS " Needed you tonight."
So many different ideas, so many different songs. But I didn't choose a life like Madonna's, or Pearl Jam, or Billy Idol and Metallica. I chose to be me!
There are also so many opinions out there from different people about what my kids should be listening to. Be it Christian music only, Classical only, Kids music only or a variety of all that is innocent. But what if I don't? What if I allow them to listen to Lady Gaga, Black eyed peas, or Bruno Mars? Should I be concerned my girls will want to wear meat or use cocaine because Bruno Mars allegedly does? Should i be concerned they will "believe" in their "beliefs?"
I believe my husband and I have done a great job so far. Of course we have issues, everyone does when it comes to parenting. But that is the process of training them.
 As I write this my 4 year old Emma is listening to a ipod and singing G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S and you know what, she hasn't asked for a jet yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment